I spent the Columbus Day weekend outside Columbus, Ohio, taking in the Ohio Sauerkraut Festival in Waynesville. It's a craft fair with an amazing amount of Ohio State gear, plus recipes from the local kraut cannery. Sauerkraut Jell-O was nowhere in sight.
Ohio is a battleground state, though yard signs mark this region as Trump country. Nevertheless, this was a no-drama weekend, even while watching the dispiriting Clinton-Trump debate with my inlaws. There was even spare time to assemble Columbus Day table topics for the week ahead.
Fun facts: Seattle and other jurisdictions mark Indigenous Peoples' Day instead. The 1893 Chicago World's Fair marked the 400th anniversary of Columbus' landing. And reports of a Santa Maria shipwreck off Haiti for the most part have been discounted.
Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic:
- What's the New World you want to discover?
- What's your connection to other continents?
- Should Columbus Day continue as a holiday?
- Columbus sought a new route for the spice trade. What's your favorite spice?
- Turns out the Earth wasn't flat. How have you dealt with a mistaken idea?
- Tell us about your favorite journey.
- What was it like on the ship with Columbus?
- How do you plan a long trip?
- How would you deal with an unexpected visitor?
- What's the best result of Columbus' travels?