Legacy pledge

Protoblogger Dave Winer:

"I'd like to be able to pay a web company like Amazon or Google a one-time flat fee to host my content for perpetuity. I'd deposit my writing with them, on the web, and not worry about whether or not my heirs will keep paying the hosting bills to keep it alive. Today I'm hosting the weblog of my departed uncle (who I miss terribly!), I don't mind doing it, but what will happen when I pass? I'd gladly pay $10,000 to be sure my site and his survive my death. Long-lived institutions like Harvard University or Mount Auburn Cemetery (in Boston), even insurance companies, could get into this business. Think of it as a personal endowment; it would work like the money richer people leave behind as memorials to their own lives, or lives of loved ones."

Shouldn't legacy.com be in this business?

No comments: